Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Blooms and Snow Along West Prong











Wow, what a great day to spend part of in the mountains! The blooms along this trail are just increasing with more Flame Azalea, Trillium, and various other flowers and colors! Here are few that are new along this route to me anyway.
As I almost reached my halfway point, 3 mls, a frozen precipitation began to fall on me and it did not appear to be hail but rather sleet or a heavy wet snow. This was above 3000', late in the afternoon, and in the Smokey Mountains. I experienced this frozen moisture for a few minutes on top of Rich Mtn. and again briefly as I began my descent from campsite #5. Days like this are when I'm glad I was a Cub Scout and my brothers were Boy Scouts so I learned to "be prepared" because I had grabbed some work gloves out of my trunk and put on a jacket as I prepared to start the hike.










The jacket tucked under my shoulder strap of my bag and the gloves went in the jacket pockets when not in use. Though both items became very useful several times along this 6 ml. walk.
From what little I know about specific wildflowers I can say this with confidence and that is there will be blooms of various sorts along the West Prong for several weeks. Peace

1 comment:

  1. Yea I saw that frozen precip on the radar over the smokies later that evening! Ain't that sumthin?

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments fairly clean.