Thursday, April 29, 2010

Practice Appreciation


As the walk began, before I left the parking lot I heard children in the woods on a trail I was considering for a short 2ml loop so I decided to start the loop from another direction. About 100 yards along the trail were two ladies sitting and talking and I thought they chose a great spot and day to do this. Sitting in the shade with the Middle Prong sounding busy across the road. Turns out they were there to ensure that none of the kids went beyond them on this trail as the kids were learning how to use a compass.
Along my walk I could here someones domestic dog barking up on the West Prong trail and I wanted to scream!! For those readers who have a dog and come to the GSMNP, your Dog is NOT ALLOWED on trails. See The Sign at the beginning of Every trail?
This is a safety issue and a Federal regulation.
Twenty or so minutes later as I approached the West Prong trail from the loop I heard very close by, a large animal moving through the thickening underbrush and I hoped it was not pissed because of the dog or scared enough to act a fool! Whatever it was.
These local, state, and federal parks do not belong to me they belong to us and so I should be considerate of other folk's safety and how my behavior affects another's day in the woods. Be it practicing "Leave No Trace" camping and hiking or reading about the parks policies before I bring my ass to this place. Uuuugh!
I tried to create good out of this learning opportunity and think I just succeeded. Peace

1 comment:

  1. I share your frustration with dogs on trails. Not only is it dangerous for the hiker who passes through an area recently scented by a dog but also for the native animals who may pick up and ilness or disease from the domestic mutt's scatt or other secretions. wild thang'

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments fairly clean.