Sunday, March 14, 2010

Yesterday...

So yesterday we made a short hike longer, yet still relatively short. The route took me up from the gate on the road coming in from Dry Valley to access the Scott Mtn., and School House Gap trail junction. Which also provides a way down into White Oak Sink, and this is where I departed from the original plan to stay on the higher and dryer trails; since my boots were still soaked from the day before and I was wearing my merrels. I couldn't get excited about hiking the dryer route though so I dropped into the sinks. It was a pleasant walk with lots of rodo's and smaller trees pulled down over the already tight trail that became even thicker as I walked in the now light rain. Following the small creek, that is wet weather drainage on the surface and has made use of what was once a road, into the sinks. I took the necessary turns and came upon the Bat Cave where there were probably 15 people standing and taking pictures. One man asked from where I had come, we spoke and I moved on to Rainbow Falls.
This visit also took me back into the woods along a trail, which if I were a betting man and given careful study of a 7.5 topo, would allow access to the Scott Mtn. trail. Once last year I tried to locate a similar route coming off of the Scott Mtn. trail however I did so on a whim, without preparation. After descending along the side of a ridge off of Scott mtn. for about a mile and getting surprised by a bear I was given the awareness I needed to turn around. I'll check it out again later this year, if possible, and do it w/ some preparation. The walk back through the flat open area was very peaceful as the rain fell and all the people had since left. aaaah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.