Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Short Walks


Today was really nice w/ temps in the upper 60's and clear skies! Yesterday the weather was nice as well, all things considered, yet time only allowed for a short walk on the west prong trail/loop each day. Today I bushwacked a short route off the trail that connected back with the unmarked loop. Earlier this week I walked around the middle prong in the snowfall.
Haa! That was fun, as I sat looking at a Topo at the trailhead, 6 backpackers came down the trail from #28. They stopped and we started talking. Seems they were going to walk to the road and make their way back to Elkmont where they had parked a couple of days ago. I kindly pointed out to them the difficulty with that plan. To make a long story short they waited while I took a short walk. When I returned they loaded all six of their packs and themselves into my 240 DL wagon and off to Tremont we drove. Once there 4 of them got out with the packs and I took the other 2 over to Elkmont, via Wear Valley due to the rock slide, where they got the vehicle and I assume headed back to their mates.
Interesting thing was these guys seemed relatively prepared by looking at the gear they had and clothes they were wearing but apparently did not look at the map closely enough, or were hoping for a fellow backpacker to give them a ride. They left me with the welcome to hike Michigan; from where they had driven, and they'd give me ride if they see me. Well, I thanked them and thought that may happen after Big Ben, the Sawtooths, Tetons, Glacier, Ozarks, ..... Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.