Friday, March 12, 2010

Thunderhead


This hike OTG gets better every time I take it a little further! I've been checking information on this section of the GSMNP, talking w/ folks who hiked this area and know better than I, and reading what I can find to prepare for some serious bushwacking up to the top of Thunderhead. Today I walked about 1/4 mile+ past where I usually turn around, and while the traveling soon got thick, steep and slow, from what I'm learning the "fun" hasn't even started at this point. Awesome streams w/ slick crossings, unavoidable rodo hells, steep terrain, w/ indicators of lots of wildlife in the area and I can't wait to get back. In a few weeks this will be complete with thicker foliage, stinging bugs, snakes, hungry bears, and beautiful blooms.
On the return just before I broke out of the rodo's, I spotted some chunks of coal lying in the old rail/road bed I was using to navigate, then when deciding where to cross the prong I saw the rock with "eyes". (See the picture)




And the rain held off minus a few sprinkles until after I got home!
The temperature was in the 50's, w/ dense humidity, and mostly cloudy above.
As I walked today I briefly considered those people who are unable to appreciate the many parts of such raw beauty. Blocked by spite and/or the pursuit for more stuff in an attempt at gaining a sense of well-being from this "stuff" despite the consequences of this endless pursuit on themselves, neighbors or natural systems. I was very grateful. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.