Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Wet, Wintery, Walk


This walk (4.4mls) took place Sunday afternoon when I parked at the park boundary and gate on Rich Mtn. Rd and accessed the trail as a light frozen drizzle seemed to be present. Precipitation falling yet so light I sensed it mainly by the sounds of icy slivers bouncing off my jacket and occasionally a flake big enough to see would catch my eye in the cloud shrouded air. The visibility after the first half a mile was sometimes less than 75' w/ fog or clouds keeping much out of vision. Days like this help me appreciate the practice of keeping the focus on my current environment or world I'm in. Be it a grocery store or at a meeting w/ friends. Staying in the moment as I walked the 2.2 mls up this trail helped avoid slipping in the mud and also make some "great saves" when I did. Really relaxing hike and the silence was phenomenal. I would stop, close my eyes, and listen and would hear almost nothing. Sometimes an occasional bird or something hitting the forest floor. Saw only one man who passed me just before campsite #5. When I was beginning my return the thick cloud cover, fading afternoon light and cover from "rodo's" and pine prompted me to pick up my pace before it became dark. Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of a walk on Big Frog Mountain about 20 years ago.... the frost, blown by the wind during the night formed three and four inch "feathers" of the limbs of bushes and trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Visual! Feel free to post more. Is anonymous an author on this blog or want to be?

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments fairly clean.