Saturday, January 24, 2009

One Way


Today was a wonderful day to hike w/ temps in the 40's, PC skies and, and not a lot of tourist out of their cars. When a friend dropped me of at the sinks and Meig's Creek trail there was no one there. A fella w/ Ohio tags on his car pulled in after us to take some pictures as I tied my boots, but I was quickly on the other side of the rock and beginning another awesome day in the woods! Damn I forgot to check my camera for space on the memory and so I missed some great vista's as I made the descent along Lumber Ridge trail into Tremont. Oh well, I guess you'll have to take my word for it, or come join us on a walk.
This one way excursion began at the Meig's Creek Trail and Little River rd. The trail has numerous stream crossings 16-20, and tested my rock-hopping skills and will yours, if your lucky enough to "walk this way"! For more information on the name of this trail, Meig's Creek, see the book 'Place Names of The Smokies',(Coggins'99), and learn some about Mr. Return Jonathan Meigs.
The trail was untouched it appeared by human traffic since most of the snow melted and was not too muddy w/ the difficulty up to Lumber Ridge Trail moderate to difficult depending on your fitness and pace. The cascading fall just under 2 mls. into the walk was partially frozen as you can see in the picture. The incline is moderate over the 3.5 mls, and as noted the frequent stream crossings keep your attention. Today there were several beautiful vista's, streams, cascades, large trees, open forest, and "rodo tunnel's", w/ fresh sign of what appeared to be bear skat and paw prints from what looked like some sort of "k-9", coyote or fox I'd hope.
Lumber Ridge Trail was moderate to easy once I started down Meig's Mtn. w/ views of the Middle Prong of the Little River and Walker Valley. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.