Saturday, January 31, 2009

Long Loop Thursday the 29th


This 14 ml. excursion took place last Thursday, the 29th, on a partly cloudy, cool to cold day, depending where I was at the time, w/ a light wind. I began this excursion from the parking area just beyond the Old Sugarlands Trail junction w/ Bull Head, and the Rainbow Falls trails, following Bull Head trail as it made the 7 mile+ ascent, w/ an approximate 4500' elevation gain, ending atop Mt. LeConte. I was distracted shortly after the incline began as a Whitetail grazed just above the path among some trees and boulders barely paying me any attention as I fumbled for my camera. This trail was moist from recent precipitation with, I noticed several times, cliffs just off the right side of it hidden amongst the rodo's. Speaking of which! The "rodo hells" I saw on parts of this trail and parts along the Rainbow Falls trail which I returned on, were some of the thickest I've seen yet in the park. Of course I still have got a lot to see but damn they were thick!
Once I reached the "Pulpit", about 4 miles from LeConte, (described in the "lil' brown book" pg. 145) I rested for a few minutes, took some pictures, and ate some "fodder". Just before here and several times after your have views down on Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and distant points beyond.
It was just past here where snow and ice began appearing on the trail. Something which obviously increased along w/ the elevation. The last mile plus going up, and about the same distance coming back down the Rainbow Falls Trail the ice and snow on the trail required Extra attention and caution!
After arriving at LeConte lodge I sat the porch of one of the buildings ate a "gourmet roast beef sandwich", some carrots, and some chocolate. Not having a lot of time to sit around, as I had started later than expected, I walked very carefully up to "Cliff Tops" and got some great pictures. I say "very carefully", due to the fact that most of the trail was covered in a thick sheet of moist ice and snow. This done I gathered my gear and began my descent from the lodge the .6 back to the Rainbow Falls trail head.
This trail was more rocky and rough than Bull Head, w/ some panoramic views of scenes as far off as Wear Valley and Townsend it appeared. About a quarter mile or so before rainbow Falls I began crossing some large streams which increased my eagerness to see these falls which until then I'd only heard others talk about and seen as a spot on maps.
I apologize to all the novices I've sent here when I'm acting as a Volunteer at one of the park Visitor Centers. This 5.4 ml. round trip walk from the parking lot ain't for sissy's !
After I stopped by the falls, appreciated the moments, got some picture's, and continued down, I passed a family coming up the mountain still a half mile plus out. Dude and Dudette! With 3 kids ranging from early teens to one about 3-4 years old. Damn, I hope those "young ens" remember that day as good and if they reached the falls they probably will.
This was a difficult route for obvious reasons and one I hope to do again w/ some variations such as doing Trillium Gap trail or reversing this route which is the way the trails are described in the "lil' brown book". Good exercise, Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.