Sunday, January 18, 2009

Rich Mtn. to Indian Grave Gap


This walk (8mls RT) began like the previous entry in that it started at the Rich Mtn. trail parking where the Rich Mtn. road exits the park. Today the visibility was much better and the temperature was a little warmer except when walking along exposed points of the ridge line. The trail was muddy in places along the route and frozen in others.
On this day once I reached the ridge at campsite #5, I drank some fluids, ate some junk, and turned left along the Indian Grave Gap trail for 1.8 mls. A few hundred yards after taking this turn the trail splits. I chose the one less traveled (made the choice while planning the route) and was rewarded with some beautiful views and pictures. This spur takes you to the location of an old fire tower and if you keep following it, as I did, it reconnects you w/ the Indian Grave Gap trail.
This path drops occasionally and probably loses several hundred feet in elevation before it terminates at the junction w/ Scott Mtn. trail and the Crooked Arm trail. The latter which drops you down into Cades Cove and the Rich Mtn. Loop trail.
I followed the Scott mtn. direction about a Qtr. of a mile to campsite #6, where I sat on a log ate some stuff, drank some fluids and appreciated the gifts.
Once done I filled my Nalgene at the water source below the site and returned to the trail. Through this hike I saw several birds of various sizes and colors out taking advantage of this relatively warm day. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.