Saturday, July 26, 2008

School for Turkeys...along the Trails

This was a great hike under the canopy for the most part and thanks to early morning weather I was alone until the last 3 miles. When I awoke the first time at 4 something, a.m., it was raining and I thought great I'll just stay up have some coffee, bananas, and get on the trail around six. I quickly rethought that after checking the weather on the computer and went back to sleep.
Shortly after 9am I got up, had some coffee, Bananas, a Lara Bar; or 2, packed a shoulder bag and got in the car for a trailhead yet to be determined.
I chose the School House Gap Trail; via Tuckaleechee Cove, and followed this to Turkeypen Ridge Trail, 1 ml. I followed Turkeypen down 3.4 mls to the intersection of 3 trails which included Crib Gap, Lead Cove, and Finley Cane trails. I was looking for the latter in order to continue an 11 mile+ loop, counting the walk from the car.
Finley Cane begins through the tunnel pictured or up and over to cross Laurel Creek Rd. The walk through the tunnel was not difficult and there were rocks to hop when needed. This trail became a wide dual use route w/ a steady incline up to a connection w/ Bote Mtn. Trail just under 3 mls from the start.
From the beginning of Turkeypen Trail, and onto Finley Cane, there are beautiful forest. These forest cover some relatively open areas underneath the canopy and at times I would have to stop, listen to the silence, absorb the colors, and feel the peace. Mushrooms were frequent w/ the recent rains and small blooms old and new, were as well. And large trees!
When I connected w/ Bote Mtn. trail I sat on a fallen tree and retied my boots in an attempt to prevent blisters. I was beginning to notice a hot spot on my right heel (got one anyway). From here it's .6 ml to the next left turn just as Bote Mtn. Trl. runs into the West Prong Trail. If you continue to walk it in that direction, down and to the right you'll come to a great campsite along the West Prong, #18, in less than a mile. The continuation of Bote Mtn. Trl. drops me off the Mtn. and hooks me up w/ School House Gap Trail, about 2.5 miles from my starting point. I picked up a small bag of garbage along the way and just can't figure out why some feel the need to leave cigarette butts, styrofoam cups, plastic baggies, and other non-perishable items. Damn, even your toilet paper which will be gone after a rain or two, you can at least bury it under some mulch or leaves. Better yet! Take it out w/ you and Leave No Trace! Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.