Saturday, July 19, 2008

Bears in The Woods


The times when I'm at least trying to be at peace w/ my immediate surroundings things tend to workout. As I began this walk at Rich Mtn. trail I was believing in the positive energies I'd "walk into" along the way and things the wild world would allow me to be a part of. Heck, as you can see from the pictures w/ this entry the positive thoughts and actions were returned to me w/ each step I took.
I started from Rich Mtn. Rd. without a destination, some gorp and water, and two books. One being the lil' brown book about the trails and the other one for identifying trees. I used both.
This trail is described in the brown book as being "upside down" as in it begins dry, without a stream, proceeds up Rich Mtn. and about 2 miles into it you come to water in a stream down on the right. Soon after beginning this route I noticed a spur to the right which takes you down to a sink developing here. After 2.3 miles of forest and ferns I arrived at campsite #5, and continued on along the Indian Grave Gap Trail until it intersected w/ the loop trail. Here I decided to stop, eat some gorp and jerky, and feel the peace. I had heard what appeared to be a large mammal in the trees below me but it never showed itself maybe a third of a mile back. After I snacked and relaxed for a while I got up and proceeded back the way I'd come and quickly reminded myself of the noises I had heard in the trees a few minutes earlier. No sooner than I remembered this I saw a bear stepping out the trees onto the trail completely unaware of me 40 yards or so down the trail. I quickly snap a few shots w/ my camera, which I already had in my hand, and then said to myself "I better let this bear know I'm here". So I begin speaking in a non-threatening tone loud enough to get its attention and keep eye contact as it stops, looks up, and a few seconds later steps off the trail. It then followed the trail parallel inside the trees about 30 yards. We kept an eye on each other as we passed and I continued to speak in mellow tones keeping it up to date on where I was.
So I'm pumped about this sighting and thanking the powers that be, wondering if the pictures are going to turn out when 10 minutes later I spot another larger, "black furry creature", already on the trail walking towards me. I still had my camera in my hand so I quickly take a few pictures and let this big bear know I'm here by saying "hello Mr or Mrs bear". With that this large mammal stops, looks up at me and doesn't move, except it's head, trying to get a "wiff" of my scent it looked like. After we stare at each other for about 20 seconds or so, w/ my "conversation" continuing, I decide it would be wise for me to begin backing away and slowly waving my arms to give the appearance of being larger than I am. As I begin this that "sucka" snarls and grunts at me letting me know I have made a good decision in backing up. It stands it's ground for another 20 or 30 seconds and then turns around and heads back the way it had come, staying on the trail and going around a knob on the ridge. The bear disappeared around the bend so I stopped and began to listen for it, trying to keep it located by the sounds it may make. After a few minutes I headed up the trail, continuing to speak to my new friend. Rounding the the bend I heard it, and then saw it amongst the trees taking a route that would bypass the area we had just met in. I continued speaking so it would know where I was and avoid any surprises. The rest of the walk out was gravy! What rewards I get when trying to be "a part of" the larger wild world. Aldo Leopold was and continues to influence my beliefs in that all things are related and Steve Martin put it best for me when I'm looking at a large bear 35 yards away, "I feel really small", Peace.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! Let 'em know asap! Them bears need to know youins there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, first one probably sent the second one to take you out!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments fairly clean.