Monday, July 7, 2008

School House June 25th



Hello, this walk took place a few weeks ago though I've been reluctant to post it because I forgot my camera...well I remembered it this time along the walk then left it in Townsend when I drove to Nashville to finish up some work.
This walk began at the School House Gap Trail Head, from the Tuckalechee Cove side, and was fairly strenuous. The first 2 miles are along open moderate trails w/ the 2nd mile dropping down to Laurel Creek road. At the crossing of Laurel Creek rd. I turned left walking along the side of the road and back over a stream, crossed the road, and hooked up w/ the Bote Mtn Trail on the other side. The next 1.2 miles was a steady incline along a wide path to an intersection w/ the West Prong trail which can hook you up w/ the AT and an wide assortment of other routes.
I made it point of walking to this crossroad then returning back the way I'd come about 50 yards to rest and eat some gorp. While doing so some folks passed by on horses. We greeted each other and I sat back down to enjoy the soothing "greens and noises of nature". Just as I stood up to gather my hat and day pack I heard a large animal moving in the undergrowth about 30 ft. below me. I quickly got my camera ready as I noticed a "shadow" of a what appeared to be a bear, or boar, moving through some brush. I say shadow because I only saw for a moment a large dark spot moving amongst the green leaves. About this time I was also becoming consciously aware of the fact that whatever this large animal was it was very close and may not know I am present. So I whistled and said hello, to which it scruffled through some more bushes and then stopped. I never got a clear view as it moved in short burst for a a minute or more then stopped hidden under the bushes and trees below where I was standing. It might have noticed, as I did, the approach of more riders. I spoke w/ them briefly as they stopped and I briefed them on what was just occuring. They dismissed my information after a short talk and continued on. Much to my delight I'll add, as the woman rider was telling me how to behave around her _____ horse because my hiking poles were scaring it. This route is a dual use trail though I had it all to myself for the first hour or so. Water was plentiful though even w/ a filter it would be wise to "locate areas of gathering less polluted by horse run-off".
Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.