Thursday, July 17, 2008

New Experiences

This is my first blog entry of my life. I don't spend too much time in front of a computer when not at work. Fitting that my first blog should be about my first backpacking adventure. I have enjoyed hiking since I was a child but haven't had the opportunity to get out in the woods for an overnight adventure until the fantastic three day walk that I enjoyed with James the Walker and Meg (the mysterious) hiker. These two showed me the ropes of backpacking for which I am extremely grateful.
The adventure was described well in the previous entry. The number one highlight from my perspective was what I have lovingly termed the Rhododendron Forest. All along the Jonas Creek trail and beyond, white rhodis were in bloom, leaving a carpet of blooms on the trail and a canopy of limbs overhead. This path was traveled by a bear not long before we arrived. I met a brown snake with orangish markings on my way.
The lightening the first night was remarkable. It reminded me how bright our cities burn. So bright that we often miss nature's light shows.
Once I learned what to expect, I rather enjoyed hiking in a downpour.
Word cannot adequately express the joy felt and memories treasured from our trip. I hope to be back out there soon.
Peace.

2 comments:

  1. He Momma Bear! That's awesome. I wish you'd add one of those great Pictures You took for folks to see. Thanks for your trust, and your example of diligence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby,
    You're P.O.V. on this trip was priceless and indispensable to all. Yes, post beautiful Cllingman's Dome pictures! Did anyone mention the "Bermuda Triangle of fuel pumps?" That's how the pics came to be! Also, infamous "crackberry" saving our sorry 6'000 ft asses at the end of 2 1/2 day pedestrian experience. Not enough food to hike to Gatlinburg! Brrr........
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments fairly clean.