Saturday, August 23, 2008

Campsite #18, via Bote Mtn. Trail


Today,(8/23/08), we have a VP on the Democratic ticket and I hiked for about 4.5 miles in the GSMNP. I started the morning w/ big plans and found I was unintentionally delaying my start through repeated evaluations and second guessing. So finally I got my stuff and went to the Post Office to mail a letter to the editor. W/ this done I was on my way to the park entrance and went right at the Townsend 'Y', to "force" the issue for myself and decide the route for the day. I chose the the Bote Mtn. trailhead which begins approx. 3.5 miles in from the 'Y', w/ a parking area at the Schoolhouse Gap trailhead on the right. The Bote Mtn. trail is about 250 yards back and across the street. This trail was described on another day in an entry from 7/7/08, of a walk on June 25th. I found the route similar to that day minus the "creature sighting", and add dust from the lack of rain. After the 1.2 mile climb and intersection w/ the end of the West Prong trail I went left on that trail and to campsite #18, which was like only a half a mile or so. I've walked through this site a few times but this time having no agenda, I stopped and looked around. What a great campsite! The water was still running well in the West Prong, which separates the tent sites at this campsite and the folks who have "adopted" this site for upkeep had apparently been here recently w/ signs of cleaned fire pits and grounds. Thank you for your help. The sites are spread apart giving lots of privacy w/ each having a fire ring, easy water if the West Prong is running, and pulleys for the packs etc... . This site, #18, is easily accessible from the West Prong trailhead parking at Tremont as well and both routes appear to be about the same distance, approx. 2mls.
While I was at #18, I walked to each camping area and really liked 'A', and 'C', for the distance from the main trail, and other reasons like this "large puddle" of moving water, one of several at #18, which flowed just beyond 'A'. Come walk w/ us and you can decide for yourself.
I followed a trail up the creek from site 'C', which appeared to be along an old road; or railway from the logging years, and also an area which looked like it once had a building(s) of some sort on it. Actually I noted a couple of spots where this looked to be the case so I'll ask about it when I'm volunteering next week at the visitor center. Really a nice hike complete w/ Cardinal Flowers, and big trees. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.