Sunday, August 10, 2008

Big Timber and Little Bears August 7th


This walk began on the Lead Cove Trail("led"), after it crosses Laurel Crk Rd, going in the direction of the Bote Mtn Trl. "Ja'll git all that"? The trail parallels the road for a short distance and then makes a sharp left turn to begin a more pleasant experience following the path of an old road that once went through this reforested farmland. A stream goes along side the trail for a little while. Off the trail here to the left I noticed some piles of rock which were apparently made by man. When I got home I checked the "lil' brown book", that I'd obviously forgotten, and learned I was probably looking at what remains of Gibson Tiptons' cabin. The Tipton's were some of the first Anglo settlers in the Cove. As I progressed up towards the intersection w/ Bote Mtn Trl, I noticed the large trees scattered consistently in the forest and amongst these large hardwoods were big decaying Hemlocks, still standing. The seemingly larger than usual trees were seen along the whole loop I made this day. As I made it farther into the forest and higher in elevation the walk became very pleasant though somewhat physically challenging and at times very rough from exposed rocks and roots. The picture here is from a similar sight along Anthony Crk Trl a few miles further in the walk. I've found this to be more "the case", than not on these dual use trails, which this whole loop was, dual use. At the intersection w/ Bote Mtn. (aprx. 3000') the route I chose took me to the right, up Bote Mtn. Trl, so after enjoying a log to sit on for a few minutes and the vista which included Thunderhead peak I walked some more. From here, after 1.2 miles in distance and 800' gain in elevation, up a sometimes again rough rocky trail, the Anthony Crk Trl begins on the right. This is a 3.5 mile decline almost continually along side the sometimes large creek for which the trail is named. After about a half mile or so I passed campsite #9 which was a pretty nice site right beside Anthony Crk. Throughout the walk here there are small cascades and then pools of water large enough to "waller" around in if one saw fit to do so. Towards the bottom, about .5 miles away from a large equestrian campsite, I spotted two cubs running for cover, apparently having noticed my approach. I stopped to check for "ma and pa", and after 5 minutes or so, I saw and heard nothing further so I continued on my walk.
A few minutes later I crossed over a wide wooden bridge and shortly after that, before the trail split for the Cades Cove Campground, was the large equestrian campground. This camp location was different than it is shown on the park trail map that I was using. Shortly after the campsite was the right turn for the 1.6 mile Crib Gap Trail that damn near put me right on the side of the Laurel Creek Rd. a few times before crossing it at .8 ml. and connecting back to where I began the excursion after another .8 mls. The last few hundred yards were very pleasant visually, though the frequent noise from vehicles was close to remind me where I was in the park. The final approach into the cove.
The route was fairly strenuous for a day hike both w/ the length and the first 3 miles which is pretty much an incline. Also something to consider for some, is the often rocky and rough conditions of these dual use trails. Peace

2 comments:

  1. I think you might have walked this walk on the 7th of August?? Just checking....

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments fairly clean.