Monday, August 11, 2008

The Plateau


Wow, what a wonderful description Meg the Hiker gave of our first experience w/ Hector, his wife Susie, and their place on the Cumberland Plateau. Hector is what I wanna be when I grow up! I saw and experienced a man of love and focus in his direct efforts both within the local community and in our larger society. As Meg noted a recurring statement made by Hector was "so much work to be done". This was heard again after Meg, Sydney, and I returned from our walk to the falls and pinnacle, and I inquired about protecting this land from development. He said, as well, that he was very interested in doing so and he had previously been in contact w/ an assisting agency that he could not recall the title of. A few days later while speaking w/ a conservation organization which is involved in assisting in the protection of these lands on the plateau, they spoke specifically of this gorge, of which Hidden Springs is a part, without any knowledge from me about the area on the plateau that I was inquiring about. Some of this gorge has already obtained protective status w/ the help of concerned local landowners and cooperating organizations. When I returned to Hidden springs the following week I brought up some information for Hector and Susie to review for obtaining conservation easement status for these falls and the immediate surrounding area. He said he would check it out and consider taking steps to communicate w/ the neighbor who shares a small part of the particular area. This neighbor also shares an interest in keeping the land as is. That was two weeks ago and I'll be returning very soon to finish the blueberry harvest and anything else I can contribute for my room and board. These pictures in no way express the full size and beauty of this gorge nor the need for protecting it. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.