Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My First Time....Monday the First


The first time I saw a bear this year, that is. Really cool experience. We, the bear and I, were traveling different directions on the same trail (West Prong), and as I looked up the trail which was curving around the front of a small ridge I saw the bear already turning around and looking over it's shoulder to keep an eye on me.
"Whoa!, we damn near collided there Mr. or Mrs. bear" I said as I stopped in the next step. Dude it was only say like 50' up the trail! When I said my greetings it stopped and perched up on it's hind quarters to have a closer look see at which point I continued to talk calmly and assess the situation (i.e. my physical location, it's position and current direction of travel, and a quick scan for any others).
This done it began to move off the trail into the "median" of the trail. As I noted the trail was bending around the knob on this ridge so either direction I went the bear would be just above me as it had now stopped up in the woods and was keeping me located. Much as I was him/her. After a few minutes of "conversation" w/ the bear and losing the visual I had on it as it moved further up the knob staying in the bush I chose my original route and continued. I finished this short loop paying closer attention as I enjoyed the cooler late afternoon temperatures, the shade provided by the trees and all the little things to appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.