Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spring Snow



Dudes! and Dudettes! What a cool walk I got to take today up Anthony Creek trail to Russell field trail and up along Leadbetter ridge. The snow was with me from the picnic area where I parked, just inside Cades Cove, and only deepened as I gained elevation. When I started my return approximately a half a mile+ from the Russell Field shelter it was like 8 inches deep. The only wildlife I saw were birds of various types, none of which I could identify but click this picture and you'll get a better view of the one in this tree.
When I started I had my hopes up that I'd have the trail to myself, as there were no other cars parked in the picnic area lot where I started from. Well that's because the groups of "overnighters" I passed (7 persons total) as I was going in could not park in that lot overnight.
I was on the trail about 4.5 hours and it snowed probably half that time. The streams are of course busting loose and the temperatures are supposed to reach the 60's Tomorrow. The blooms will return soon I'm sure and The Walker and others will provide more pic's though you ought to come see them for yourself. Things are just getting started and the park has stuff going on all year celebrating the 75Th anniversary of it's "grand opening".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.