Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Calvin's Gold (Tuesday the 17th)


Hello, this was a very informative walk on and around the Rich Mountain Trail and road. Myself and two "noted Historians", and authors began this hike around the Rich Mtn./Ace Gap trailheads. It was mostly OTG, and brought us to one of Dr Calvin Post', gold mines, the remains of a former residence of his, and a strenuous search through "rodo hell's" for another mine, which we were unable to locate at this time. On the way out my friends showed me Bull Cave and it's impressive entrance. One of the men I was w/ described the way the caves in this area are formed in limestone, the way sinkholes are formed, and other bits of geological information. While my other hiking companion was a wealth of history on the early settlements in and around the park. I was privileged to share this walk w/ them and hope to do so again soon! Peace

1 comment:

Please keep the comments fairly clean.