Sunday, December 14, 2008

Roundtop Trail (Sat. 12/13)






This trail runs between Metcalf Bottoms and the Townsend "Y", 7.5 mls, w/ a stream crossing at the end if you chose to cover the distance on what would be a wonderful day hike. Provided you have a second car or ride as there are no campsites along this route.
I began my 5 ml.(RT) walk from the Metcalf Bottoms side and even if I had wanted to complete the 7.5 mile trail the recent rains and snow would have prevented a safe crossing at the 'Y'. Soon after I started the walk I encountered snow and ice on the trail and as I gained the maximum elevation on this trail the snow cover only increased. Making for some "glorious bright white" as the sun moved up and over it at parts as I walked w/ the trees and and rodo's covered in the frozen gift. This trail requires a moderate though consistent effort. The elevation gain to the point I turned around at was just around 1300', if I remember correctly, though, as mentioned it was consistent. I noted some bear skat that appeared to have been left since the snow. The views for the most part, up to the point I walked, were wonderful and several would be open even in the dense summer coverage. I say "for the most part" because soon after the trail starts you walk by a rental cabin w/ another up on the rise before it and at couple other times you treated to the obscene development in Wear Valley. Of course that's just my view.
I enjoyed this portion of the Roundtop trail a bunch, really cool hike! and look forward to completing it as one way walk soon. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.