Sunday, November 16, 2008

Time Away

Today was a great day to walk in the woods. I began this 13 plus mile day hike at the Middle Prong trail head and followed it up to Panther Creek Trail. This trail, as I described in previous entries is a consistent 2.3 ml. incline, sometimes quickly sometimes slowly, w/ numerous stream crossings. Several of the crossings; I counted 10 crossings today that could have got your socks wet, required some rock hopping. At Jake's Gap, 4055', I turned right onto Miry Ridge Trail and followed it to Double Springs Mountain, 4801'. From here I had a beautiful view across the valley to Cold Springs Knob and the "spine of the smokies" along which runs the AT. At this elevation all was frozen in white snow and ice, about 6 inches on the ground w/ the frozen branches on the hardwood trees looking like intricate crystal sculptures. Campsite #26, which is set off the trail some, was further along approx. 8/10 of a mile and this campsite looks like a great one for both summer and winter. Protected from the wind by large trees, both evergreens and hardwoods, w/ a couple of rigs to hoist packs up on. More detailed information about the history and plant life here can be found in the "lil brown book". The high canopy here covers a big open area for tents and the fire ring. I sat on one of the large logs laying around this site and retied my boots, at some gorp, had some water, and appreciated, w/ gratitude, what was around me. On the return trip about halfway down Panther Creek Trail the snow was melting some as the sun had been shining through the now partly cloudy skies and adding another winter hiking element, some mud. By the time I reached my car it was dark and time for a warm shower. Oh! I forgot my camera so if you wanna see what's there, come on and let's take a walk! Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.