Sunday, November 2, 2008

Lookout


Hey! This walk allowed me that feeling of relative peace for a short time amongst the current pace of work. Traveling from ATL to Nashville I stopped in Chattanooga for the day to visit some friends and do a day hike as there are a bunch of choices locally. This route began at a familiar spot at the bottom of the mountain in the parking area just before the Nature Center. Across the road the trail begins easily enough, or so it seems. Shortly after starting the trail begins a steady and often steep climb. As I was finishing up, I met a couple from the Bristol area who were just beginning the climb and they had stopped to rest just as this menacing section of the trail comes into vision which is steep, straight, and probably 100 yards plus of rough trail. I descended upon them as they rested, we exchanged greetings and spoke for some time. Seems he had a relative who fought the Civil War battle here and was curious as to where and how the soldiers had made their approach up the mountain. Knowing little of this mountains history I suggested locating a ranger or ask at the Nature Center for other ideas and information.

My route had taking me up to the first level "intersection" where one trail continues the steady, steep climb to Sunset Rock and Point Park, and another continued along the side of the mountain. Having walked/climbed the first option several times previously I chose the second option. I followed this trail; which at the beginning was most likely Skyuka Trail, for 3+ miles and came upon three intersections along the way, choosing to "stay to the left" at each I slowly gained elevation. And as I "stayed to the left" most likely left the Skyuka Trail. I could see at times through the trees several miles and across the interstate, Raccoon Mtn., and at one point I was at least at eye level w/ the top of that distant ridge line which would indicate that I had reached an elevation of approx. 1000'. Along this way I was blessed w/ views of a few blue Asters still in bloom, several groups of deer, and a bunch of wild turkeys. This was a relaxing, easily accessible walk of moderate difficulty due to the first 1/4 ml, and the length I covered, 6+miles. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.