Saturday, September 20, 2008

The School Outside


Hello, This walk on Friday, the 19th, began from the gate at which I park when accessing these trails via Redbank and Tuckaleechee Cove. From here I walked the quarter mile or so up the gravel road, enjoying the views, to the park boundary and trailheads for Chestnut Top/School House Gap and Scott Mtn. trails.
I'd already outlined; and told a friend, my route which included a walk from Schoolhouse Gap, to White Oak Sinks, a visit the "bat cave" and return the way I came. Before "descending" onto the sinks trail; which has been modified to allow foot traffic ONLY! I reviewed my map and looked at my compass in order to get some semblance of "where and what". The only other time I'd gone down this trail very far, over a year ago, it was not very well traveled, and being that it's not on the park maps I wanted to have at least a vague idea of what I was walking into (if you do not know where this is keep walking you'll probably find it). The trail into the sinks is relatively moderate w/ a gradual decline and along some sinks as it drops towards the "bat cave". This spur through the sinks and to the cave is approx. 1 mile+-, along the sides and over some small ridges w/ some cool rock formations and open forest under the canopy. Also lots of what looked like various colored Asters, among other flora, blooming along the way.
Once I reached my original destination I noticed a trail that continued up between two ridges, knobs, or whatever, which I followed. This trail took me to another cool site and like the trail in from Schoolhouse, had been recently maintained, cut back, ensuring my confidence that I'd find my way out. (Unlike my previous visit last year) After visiting this other area of interest I was curious as to where this trail I was on would end up or come out. I recalled a fellow hiker telling me of a trail which comes out of the sinks and connects back up w/ either Scott Mtn., or Schoolhouse Gap and I wondered , "hmmmmm?", is this the one? I stopped, looked at my map and compass again and made some observations and guesses then continued on, just to see where it might drop me. Now I'm not one that makes a lot of noise as I walk alone but this route became so "tight" at times as I followed the trail up a creek and what looked like an old road, "I whistled a few times" in order to notify any large animals that I was walking here. My main concern, as I assessed my current status then, was not that I'd be lost but more that I might come out 4 miles "off course". Which shouldn't have been a concern because I had water and some other assorted items for "unplanned contingencies". So I walked on. Eventually I decide to give myself about 5 more minutes before turning around because it looked like I was nearing a ridgeline; as it had appeared for the last 10 or 15, and I did not want to quit before the top. I was reminded of times I've been walking and began to doubt my location or route only to find, usually, that I was right on. Soon after setting this 5 minute limit I realize that I am cresting a ridge and dude! I'm like coming out of the woods in a very familiar area about 1/4 ml. from where I started. Another great day to learn! Ye' of little faith. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.