Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rich Mtn. Loop Sunday Sept. 28th


This was a walk I'd only done once before in this form. I began @ 2pm from the Rich mtn. trail parking where Rich Mtn. rd. exits the park. This later than usual start for me was of some concern w/ the distance I would be covering and the shrinking amount of sunlight because of the seasonal changes. Being alone and familiar w/ the initial part of the route planned I was able to make really good time for the first 3mls. I spoke w/ a couple just as I began and they shared that they had seen no one since they'd got in the woods before noon, and as it worked out for me I only encountered folks around John Oliver's Cabin. None along the trails that made up the 11 mile+ loop.
As I passed campsite #5, I stayed to the right and continued along the .8, of Indian Grave Gap trl., to the Rich Mtn. Loop trl., down the mountain along Cave Ridge, and a resting point at John Oliver's place. I took a few pictures, re-tied my boots and walked through some very pretty forest to Crooked Arm Ridge trl.
Water was available near the bottom of the Rich Mtn. Loop trl., and I refilled again just past Crooked Arm Falls. After this water was not scene.
The trails were hiker friendly accept at the lower elevations around the Cove, due to heavy horse and pedestrian traffic exposing rocks and causing some erosion.
I was reminded of false peaks w/ the climb up Crooked Arm Ridge. After I quit telling myself "I think I'm almost at the top" and gave more attention to the sun and the shadows; and my watch, I noticed more birds, squirrels, lizards, and the still bright Aster's blooming in numerous colors. It was a challenging walk in the sense of getting it started and staying on schedule, because even though I had a flashlight in my daypack, and I was familiar w/ the last 2 mls. from #5, to the parking area, I like to night hike w/ other folks. As it was I came out of the woods onto Rich Mtn. rd., at 7:15pm. I was very grateful for the time and experience of that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.