Saturday, May 12, 2012

Flowers and Things..

A beautiful day for a walk with PC skies, temperatures in the 70's, and a breeze. I had been in a car or at a desk for the previous week in various parts of WV, and was in real need of some time in the woods. A short while into the hike up Rich Mtn. trail I was presented with these bright Indian Pinks
blooming alongside the route which were mixed with other wild flowers, including Mountain Laurel and some Flame Azalea.
The trail was in good condition and on my return a few hours later I passed Mr Hickey; a Volunteer in the Park (VIP), cleaning up around campsite #5 and doing maintenance on the Rich Mtn. trail between the Ace Gap trail head and the #5 campsite. Funny thing was a few hours later I am stopping by Little River Trading Co., looking for an item and I saw him again inside shopping. Well he was doing good work on the trail and I thanked him for it. Now the Copperhead I nearly stepped on was at the bottom of trail and the end of a good hike. It was one of those times where just as your placing your foot you look to see where your putting it and just start spazzing out physically trying to not step on the damn thing and cussing as you do some funky maneuvers for a few feet and a few seconds, until you realize your gonna be OK. I turned around to face it after I finished doing my spastic dance and that sucker was all cocked back and as freaked out as I was, probably. Another remarkable creature here for a purpose and good reason for me to appreciate the wild life and do what I can to preserve it. It all matters. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.