Saturday, February 13, 2010

Ready, Aim, and Call Your congressional representatives and Invite Them for a Walk In The Woods!

Hello Paranoid, insecure and exceptionally unprepared hikers and lawmakers! On February 22nd, 2010 a new federal law allows people like you who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Tennessee and North Carolina laws differ so call the Chief Ranger -- 865-436-1255, if you have any questions! When was the last time one of these elected folks actually got out off their pulpits of fear and hiked an unpaved trial for more than 30 minutes in Any national park?
Now I am not the most avid hiker in these parts, yet over the last few years I have averaged walking over 500 miles/year on trails along the Cumberland Plateau, the mountains of East Tennessee, Western North Carolina, and other parts. This is more than most people will hike in a lifetime and I'm also sure many of you hike much more. Along these walks I have had the privilege of sharing space with many animals including "several" bears and have Never once felt the need for a firearm to protect myself. The FEW times I have really felt fear during any of these "meetings" it has always been because of my carelessness.
In a time far, far, away from me now I once hunted bear for sport in Canada. I was put up in a tree 15+ feet off the ground and told to watch a particular spot. On the fateful evening I killed a young female black bear the first shot from my high powered rifle went ripping through her front left leg just missing vital organs. This mother bear began racing towards the tree I was sitting in showing know physical signs of being shot and she did not have my best interest at heart as she quickly approached.
I'll spare the details, however it is important to note that this bear had been hit by a large bullet; much bigger and more powerful than a 9mm etc..., the shot was made by a relatively calm person who had time to aim, and it only pissed her off! Had I been on the ground the day would have ended completely different.

So lets return to the present. Should I be startled by one of these magnificent creatures as I walk in their "backyards" and over react out of ignorance and fear a handgun ain't gonna help. If you feel the need for a firearm to eat in a particular restaurant you probably have no reason to eat at that restaurant. And if you really need a firearm strapped to your body to feel safe while your insecure ass and overweight family hike the whole 1.8 miles of your lifetime I suggest you stay the F____ in suburbia and go to the movies or attend a ranger led hike out of one of the visitor centers. That's all for now. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on this. Now each time I go off trail to dig a cat hole I'll have to be sure and annouce my location so no one shoots in my direction. Damn! No privacy.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments fairly clean.