Saturday, January 19, 2008

Gabes Mountian Trail Jan. 9th

This evening hike began as a back country excursion w/ 2 night's out. I began by parking in the picnic area just before the Cosby Campground; in the park, and walking back down the road I had driven in on about 50 yards to pick up the trailhead. It ended as a 4.4 mile day hike after getting honest w/ myself about the potential weather and my preparedness for such. I walked into Hen Wallow Falls, 2.2 miles, and enjoyed the beauty of the cascading water w/ a snack and fluids. Since this was my first time at the falls I have nothing to reference the amount of flow to, though it seemed reasonable for the severe drought this area is experiencing and the amount of rain over the last few weeks. Now, the next morning, and into the next day, I'm sure the flow increased dramatically as there was lots of rain and winds, w/ gust exceeding 40 miles/hour, as the expected front blew through. That's one of the times where I listened to that voice within and took action contrary to my initial "ego thoughts", and was very glad I did. The terrain was moderate to difficult I supppose and I look forward to finishing the loop via campsites #34, and on to #29.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.