Saturday, November 29, 2014

Bears along the Walk

This walk began up Lumber Ridge Trail late in the afternoon early in the month of November, with the Mysterious One, taking the lead. Heck we weren't but a couple hundred yards up the trail when I come around a corner and there she is bent over pointing into the woods with one hand (see picture), and waving me closer with the other. 
Oh my! Assistant Deputy VIP Ranger Fife (me), was so proud of her and the animated intensity of the Mysterious One's position and gestures as she non-verbally controlled my approach.  It was a hoot!  Once getting closer I could make out the momma bear; we saw one cub sneaking off, who was watching us from about fifty yards up the mountain. 
Eventually momma bear grew tired of me trying to get the next best picture and let me know it with a verbal warning, to which I took heed and continued up the trail away from the bears. 
We hiked up the trail to the saddle (approx. 2.5mls), where we had a snack, some rest and then returned the way we came. 

We were privileged to experience the wild life which included this and several other beautiful trees sporting their fall colors!  Peace


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.