Monday, May 26, 2014

Ramsey Cascades

This was my first hike to the infamous Ramsey Cascades, and one which I should have taken long ago.  Man!, if not for my own enjoyment and enlightenment, then I should have been required to hike it before I was allowed to give out any recommendations to visitors while a volunteer at the Sugarlands Visitor Center.  Dude, I asked others (volunteers and staff) who had hiked it to get a feel for who I should and should not recommend this hike to when working.   Well, while making this walk I realized I had underestimated what I perceived in the descriptions given to me about this route and hoped I did not put anyone in danger with my inexperienced  advice.  Though in my defense I remember usually getting someone to help with these questions from visitors when possible.
There are some important aspects one should consider before taking this trail.  One being the distance, two being the long straight sections of incline on the route, three being rough rocky portions of trail, and also the relative remoteness of the trail access.  If you have time, relatively good physical endurance, and strong ankles and knees then it is well worth meeting these challenges and seeing another awesome section of the GSMNP.  I would rate this route as challenging to difficult depending on ones physical health and mobility.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.