Monday, February 13, 2012

Hiking in a little snow

So Saturday included a few few first for me one of which was the first snow; though minimal, in the lowlands this winter and the other a hike with a family member who I've never hiked with. My concerns about the weather and adequate clothing were noted in the days prior to our walk and her cover was OK for a short day hike. We followed a route which would keep us off the ridge lines because of the strong winds which were gusting thus bringing windchill's into the single digits early in the day.













Our walk began at the Schoolhouse Gap trailhead; much to my surprise the parking area was overflowing, and followed it up to the intersection with trail leading down to White Oak Sink. After about a half a mile along the Sink trail we passed a group of 8 who were exiting and which made for a quiet walk for us the rest of the way.
This area is really getting a lot of use as compared to when I first ventured down an indiscreet manway into the Sink only 4 and half years ago. I recall being cautioned by other, more experienced volunteers at the VC, to not be giving away the locations and routes of all "our spots". I must say though when I did, I did so with discretion, and no longer distribute such information to the general public.
We visited the caves and waterfall then exited through the one of the other routes which brought us out at the cabin and School House Gap Trail. Which we followed back to the trailhead, passing a few folks on the way out. Another great experience in the woods made possible by a lot of people that have come before us, and leaving with us a great responsibility to do the same. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.