Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Leave No Trace

The personal development of a land ethic as proposed by Leopold is the first step, I believe, towards preserving and conserving the wilds which make our existence possible. An honest and realistic appreciation of our need for the wild life in order to maintain our existence and the children's future must become a part of the humans being or else our selfishness will subject the children to perilous obstacles in the way of their survival. Loss of biodiversity and the loss of basic elements like fertile soil and clean water are already occurring and this loss cannot be sustained.
So I'm walking about a mile up this trail in the GSMNP and first I saw the boxers and think well I'll put them on this trial sign and the trail maintenance folks will get them.






And then I see the plastic bottles...and then I see the propane container and then the scraps of paper. I pile them up and make a pledge to myself to pick this stuff up on my return. When I do get back I notice what appears to be some paper in another area off the trail but in the same spot for the most part as the stuff gathered earlier. Turns out there is a bunch of pamphlets advertising a local tourist attraction and a cardboard box stuffed with garbage.
The afternoon walk was as nice as visiting with friends outside on a quiet afternoon while fixin' and enjoying some BBQ until as I reach for the pulled pork I see caviar. Why???

3 comments:

  1. Dude! if I had a rocket launcher....and a target.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would only scatter the trash

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did what you told me and took a grocery sack with me to pick up others' trash. Didn't much like taking an empty beer can back to my car and driving away with it, but.......

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments fairly clean.