Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cloudland Canyon, GA

Just finished the 4.8 mile canyon rim trail. Sorry guys your loss and mine, I left the camera at home. This trail has some incredible vistas. Although rated moderately difficult on the web site I think it would push being that high. There are some steep areas as you go into and out of the canyon but overall the trail is moderate.

The first leg is through hemlock and laurel, I wish that it had been in bloom! Then once you climb out the trail passes back to the rim several times, giving you first a view of the canyon then later a view west into the setting sun. I had the trail completely to myself with the exception of a troupe of girl scouts on their way to an overnight back country spot. We were only within hearing distance of each other for 20 minutes or so, long enough to hear them joking about my "ski pole" walking stick. To save embarrassment I might have to pull Rufus back out. This high tech gear is not always the coolest!

I noticed on the way out the drive-in campground looked almost empty. Would be a great place for a weekend getaway.

2 comments:

  1. Rufus? and when the girls scouts grow up and maybe one of them still enjoys hiking she'll appreciate her high-tech leki or even a good ol' wooden walking stick!
    Maybe that one who still hikes will remember that old man on the trail! LOL, ha, ha,

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments fairly clean.