Saturday, March 8, 2008

Snow on the West Prong March 8th

Wow! What a great walk in the snow this was. I left the W. Prong Trail Head across from Tremont; a trail I've been a couple of times from different directions, over the last month or so, and continued up and over to the #18 campsite. The snow had been, and continued to fall, heavily at times, along the walk enhancing the quiet and beauty. I spoke w/ some backpackers at the campsite and listened to their story of having arrived after dark and the search for the cable(s) to haul their gear up only to find one which was broken. It barely got the packs above their heads and not beyond their outstretched arms. Easy reach, they pointed out, for a determined bear. There was another cable system across the creek though not very noticeable in the dark. On my return along the trail I passed a group of folks (4) who were in sneakers and going to #18 as well. They were day hikers. About a quarter mile out from the trailhead I passed 3 men who were going in to camp at #18. Everyone was simply loving the snow, the quiet, the beauty!!!
This roundtrip was approximately 4mls+-, and is a great moderate hike for a late in the afternoon arrival to reach a backcountry site, or as I did a moderate day hike, one can do in under 2 hours depending on what's up w/ you.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! How was the temperature? What kind of layers do you use? i.e. silk, kappy's, or wool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. snow rake

    ReplyDelete

Please keep the comments fairly clean.