Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Leave What?

I attended the Leave No Trace workshop on 02/21, led by Mike and Pam, LNT instructors and both active hikers and volunteers in the backcountry office at "Sugarlands". I also attended this during the WWF week, in Pigeon Forge (see blog 01/23). The need for detailed trip planning prior to departure; must have known I was going to be there, and taking personal responsibility for our own "footprints", were a couple of the points emphasized during the 3.5hr. workshop. Mark also contributed in demonstrating some hands on techniques for the different types of low impact fires, including pit fires and pan fires. I strongly encourage all who backpack and hike to attend a LNT workshop anywhere they can. What is more important, for me anyway, is to then practice these things "I know" when I'm in the woods. Go ahead and carry some rubber gloves and a ziploc to put any paper products in you may produce or find along the trail.

National trails day is the first Saturday of June and this is an opportunity to assist in maintaining our trails around the country so call the National Park Service, or do a web search for things to participate in near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep the comments fairly clean.